The $1.6 billion defamation suit filed by Dominion Voting Systems against Fox News was delayed just before its scheduled date.
The jury selection process has been completed and the opening statements have now been moved to Tuesday at 9 am. ET.
Even as recently as Saturday it seemed unlikely that Dominion or Fox would avoid trial.
Dominion Voting Systems has delayed its $1.6 billion defamation suit against Fox News on the day before it was scheduled to begin, a court official said.
The jury selection process has been completed and the opening statements have now been moved to Tuesday at 9 am. According to a Delaware Superior Court statement, ET is the time zone in which opening statements will be made on Tuesday morning at 9 a.m.
When asked to comment on the announcement of Sunday's delay, Fox and Dominion spokespersons did not respond immediately.
Dominion, a company that sells voting machines, election software and other products, claims it has been defamed.
Fox and its cable television networks after Fox broadcasted false claims that Fox had rigged 2020 elections against former President
Fox has claimed that Dominion did not meet the legal standard of defamation and that statements made by Dominion in its airwaves were protected under the First Amendment.
The Wall Street Journal
Fox made a final push to settle out of court the lawsuit earlier on Sunday.
Most defamation suits are settled out of court. Even as recently as last Saturday, it seemed unlikely that Dominion or Fox would avoid trial. In the next few weeks, we'll prove that Fox spread lies and caused enormous damage to Dominion. "We look forward to the trial," said a Dominion spokesperson on CNBC Saturday morning.
In a court statement, Judge Eric Davis who is preside over the case said that he would announce the delay formally from his courtroom at 9 am on Monday. ET.